Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Are you sitting down? You'd better....

I wouldn't want you to fall over from the shock.

I'm working on "The Other Mitten". Let's just let that sink in for a minute shall we? Yeah, now it's coming back, isn't it..... That mitten. Remember this?

I guess 2007 is the year for Finished Objects. I'm still working on husband's Chocolate Cake Socks and I wanted to work on something that wasn't so small it made my hands cramp.... so what did I decide to do?

I figured I'd wrestle an octopus just for grins. No, really. These mittens are worked in Fair Isle on 5 DPNs size US-2. Fair Isle is fiddly and to be frank, (Alyssa cover your eyes) I hate DPNs.

I'm sorry to all those folks who love them. I know there'll be gnashing of teeth and such, but I'm an Addi Turbo girl myself. If I can't work what ever it is on two circulars, I'm miserable. That, and I'm so used to working on two circs that are connected that when I get to the end of the row, I just keep letting go of the needle and dropping the damn thing on the floor! (which my cats love and think is the "Best-Game-Ever", BTW)

So, I worked all the increases for the tip of the mitten on those blasted DPNs and then I switched to Circulars as fast as my little fingers would carry me. Interestingly, while I still struggle with the best way to hold the yarn in my left hand, the pattern is going a LOT faster than I thought it would. I got an extra inch finished last night while Hubby watched another something about WWII on the Hitler History Channel. Maybe someday I'll even graduate to the Lion Scarf that I ordered from Herself lo, these many months ago.

I've even been thinking about using the finishing techniques I learned from Catherine Lowe last year. It's funny how finishing knits makes you think on what you've learned. Now if I could just figure out how to Start a project with sufficient lead time to Finish it the way I want to, well then, life would be just Ducky now, wouldn't it?!



Touched by Royalty!
For those of you who haven't already heard, The Harlot is coming to Chicago-land!! She's coming on April 3rd to Oak Brook, IL. at Borders. 1500 16th Street at 7:30 p.m. And here's the cool thing. Are you ready??

I work almost across the street from where she'll be making her appearance!!! I'm so excited I'm wiggling again!! Here's a map, just for proof.

If you read her blog you'll know that she's been talking about "Representin'" in New York and how her Wonder Publicist has booked a hall that holds 750 people where she will speak and show the sock and take pics and such.

Thinking about Representin', I left a comment yesterday on her blog mentioning how close I work to the venue and offering (half in jest) to go over and let them know just how many people they might want to expect. I was planning on doing it anyway when I checked my email this morning and what did I see?

A reply. I got a reply from the Yarn Harlot h-e-r-s-e-l-f!!! She said she thought it would be a good idea and would I please do so? Holy Canoli, Batman!! I've been touched by Knitting Royalty (even thought Stephanie herself would probably choke at being called "Royalty")!! So, I figure I'll print out some of her attendance pics from past events and write a short but professional note for the store manager explaining what to expect.

Thanks Miz Stephanie! I hope lots of people call Borders and tell them to expect a whole load of people. Maybe then they'll get the message not to underestimate the amazing power of knitters!

Tonight is GROUP night at the Borders at Lake and Skokie Blvd. from 6:30 until Whenever! I hope you can join us!

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I'd be all in a tizzy after hearing from the Harlot, too! So far no dates for her to come visit lowly DC but I have my fingers crossed.

BTW, I have also played the dpn dropping game - I don't have any pets but it certainly amused my knitting group to no end.

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, and for going over to Borders early you and all your knitting buddies should get FRONT ROW!

I am SO there.

And YAY on the other mitten! I might just follow suit and finish the toes on AJ's socks!

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you have been a busy girl. Everything looks wonderful, I really like the socks. That's so cool you got a reply. I always wondered if she really read all of those comments, guess she does.

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jen - missed seeing you on Thursday nites so I thought I'd check on you here. Amazing work you do I miss being able to pet it! All your FOs look great - I see you got over your adversion to finishing!!--and doing quite well. I had every faith in you that you eventually would. Also very happy to see you're even finishing "the other mitt". The sole mitt must have been very lonely this year.

Well - I see you are also busy with work & being PR for Harlot. Good job. Any chance you'll be appearing on Thursday nites anymore?

4:08 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I got a reply from the harlot one day too & I also felt "touched by an angel". And it was funny because (of course) it was about Alyssa. The Yarn Harlot had blogged about her friend "the fastest knitter in the world" and I disagreed & said it was Alyssa. So she emailed me that they have an actual contest. Who knew?

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Mesothelioma Lawyer
Mesothelioma Lawyer Counter