Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Mom Socks

This pattern was so fun and easy (with the exception of the "Afterthought" heel) that I finished the first sock for my Mom's size 11 feet in 3 days including learning a new technique! (In case you're unfamiliar with the speed of my knitting, that is amazing; it's like Flying the Concord from here to Europe on my needles).

Pattern: Chevron pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks (as usual).
Yarn: STR Chanticleer Mediumweight
Needles: Two Addi-Turbo circs US size 1
Start to finish: Two weeks (I was dreading that second heel so I put them down for a week when I got to the point where I had to add it.)

Thoughts on these socks: Next time I'm going to try Alyssa's suggestion and try a Peasant Heel, cause I got to the heel part and, while it was an interesting experience, the whole thing was too fiddly. The heel is constructed using a provisional cast on worked and then divided in half on two needles (just like for a top down sock cuff). From there, you decrease to the heel "point" and kitchener both around the heel and across the heel point. At one point, I had 4 circulars hanging from my work and then had to Kitchener the heel to the on hold stitches or some such business. What a pain. Not doing that again. Realistically, it was only about an hour of focused attention, but still

Regardless, the rest of the sock was SO FAST that I made them a little too long! BTW, STR medium weight can easliy cover a pair of large feet. I tried the socks on my husband as a sample to make sure that they would fit my mom (is that wrong?) I guess that's why they were a little long, but then, if you look at the pics, they're not terribly long, just a little loose in the toes (unless Mumsie was being nice and did some magic pinning on the heels like they do with jackets on mannequins....


Now if I could just finish a sweater that fit for me..... (more on that later)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa said...

Those turned out great. I'll have to give that pattern a try.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Mesothelioma Lawyer
Mesothelioma Lawyer Counter