Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Just call me the Queen of Finished Objects


My Lovely Cousin Michelle had a baby last month. I believe it was on January 8th. His name is Cole Lawrence (short for Nicholas).

I knew she was having a boy a long time ago, but in the interest of finishing already started objects, I didn't begin this little treasure until after the Little Treasure was born.

That being said, here it is.

V-Neck Cardigan with Contrasting Ribs

Pattern: Debbie Bliss Baby Knits for Beginners (the patterns are cute, quick and written for beginners but with a little knitting knowledge, you can see where changes should be made)

Yarn: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran (it's wash and dry-able)
Needles: Addi Turbos US size 4 & 5

Alterations: This pattern calls for Cotton Glace' which I had no intention of using. Accordingly, it also calls for a smaller gauge. So, I swatched, washed, measured gauge and made a baby sweater that's too big for the little guy right now, but will probably fit him all the way through next winter.

Comments: this is a super fast knit, even for me, what with my finishing problems and all. It only took 12 days cast-on to buttons. Only thing is, you can see on the left side collar decreases that the stitches are a little weird. The pattern says K2tog TBL, which makes for a wonky laying stitch (as you can see in the bottom two decreas rows on the left hand side). So on the third row, I subbed a ssk and it lays much flatter. I still don't like how the left and right fronts don't match, but I'm guesssing the non-knitting-sleep-deprived-parents won't notice the little things that bug me.
To attach the buttons, I used the same yarn as for the body of the sweater and I had to do some fancy knitting around the YO button holes to snug them up a little, but overall, I'm pleased with the way this came out.

Of course, it's my Uncle's 70th birthday this weekend in Kansas City and while I won't be able to atend, all the cousins will be there so it's not like I'm sending this just to show off or anything.... it's all about baby congratulations. Really. ;)


Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

That's one of my fave knitting books, I check it out from the library all the time(I referenced it on my blog today). That's an adorable sweater.

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute - they will love it!

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Mesothelioma Lawyer
Mesothelioma Lawyer Counter