Saturday, February 17, 2007

Chocolate Cake Socks

I'm knitting a new pair of socks for hubbo. You see the last pair (a.k.a. the first pair) of socks I knit for him were too big by about a mile. Also, he's used to Costco cotton socks that squeeze the life out of your toes there's so much elastic in them.

So, shortly after the new year, in a fit of UFO work, I added a significant amount of elastic to the cuffs. They stayed up while we were out to dinner with some friends, but when he put them on the next day, they promptl slumped around his ankles.

Now, while I tried to explain to him the physics of handmade socks and how they don't stay up forever, they stretch while you wear them, they're bigger cause they're made specifically for his feet and what have you, the subtleties were lost on Darling Hub.

So, I'm knitting him a new pair of socks that will F.I.T.. They will fit because
1.) I'm a little more experienced
2.) I don't have to hide them from him while I finish the toes because they're not a X-mas present
3.) I can regularly take his foot hostage while he watches TV and slide the in-progress sock over his big gunboats just to check my progress. (BTW, why doesn't anyone in my family have small feet?)

I call them the Chocolate Cake Socks because the color of the Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock I'm using looks just like perfect chocolate cake. You know how the little bubbles in the crumb are sometimes light and sometimes dark, but always look yummy.... yeah, that's it. Actually, the little wound balls look like little chocolate cupcakes to me but you're just going to have to take my word on that one...

I'm using the Cable with Seed Stitch from Sensational Knitted Socks, of course. I let hubby pick from the patterns and choose the yarn color. He calls this red, but we know it's really brown.

Finally, while I was taking a few shots in the brief afternoon light, the sock had a near brush with death... do you SEE the talons on that beast? They're like the claws of a Velociraptor!! I had to swoop in and save the sock from certain death!

OK, yeah, Mr. Whiskers needs his claws trimmed.

Doesn't it look like chocolate cake????

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your socks look great! Although now I have to admit I have Bill Cosby's "Chocolate Cake" song stuck in my head.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

The sock looks terrific. Great combination of pattern and yarn (and cat). :)

1:44 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

It does look like Chocolate cake,love the pattern & the yarn of course. Your hubby is lucky he's getting a second pair, I want to see more appreciation from him this time!

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL at the velociraptor talons - that's what my cat's claws look like too.

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen. They look a little red...Ok, wine or burgundy. RV

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Mesothelioma Lawyer
Mesothelioma Lawyer Counter