Monday, February 06, 2006

Books , Knits and Group

Right now I'm reading The Outlander. It's the first book in a series by Diana Gabaldon. I've heard a lot about this series and I know a bunch of people who have just flown through them. The problem for me is this, while I love the book, it cuts into my already limited knitting time. Also, I'm thinking there might be a bit too much bodice-ripping "love making" in this one for me.
I've never been a big fan of the Romance genre and while I love the way this author is developing her story, the sexual interludes are getting (dare-I-say-it) somewhat tiresome. That being said, I'm not going to stop reading and seeing as how I've got the next two or three already on my shelf, there's no sense in stopping now.

Darling Mum's read them all in about six weeks total and while she found them completely absorbing, admitted she was happy to have her life back. I guess I feel like knitting has done that to me in the last year.

What are you all reading lately?

On a knitting note, I've made a lot more progress on Ene but my throwing hand seems to be rebelling against the really tiny yarn and getting stiff and sore that the juncture where my thumb meets my hand. So, I did two rows on chart three last night and decided to take a break. Here's what I did:

The camera had a really hard time focusing on the Angora cause it's so fuzzy... :)

Oh yeah, and what with Valentine's Day happening mext week, we'll be meeting the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month for February. That's TONIGHT (2/7/2006) and two weeks from TONIGHT (2/21/2006).

Hope to see you there!

I finished the 2nd bootie over lunch. the color in the pic above is truer.

P.S. I've noticed a preponderance of Exclamation Points!!! in the titles of my posts. I promise to stop that. BTW, what do you think of the new design? I like that it's cleaner but I guess I liked the blue as well. I'm going to have to learn more about HTML and such to be able to customize the template for myself.

5 Comments:

Blogger Alyssa said...

Oooh, so soft and fuzzy...did the pattern come with the yarn?

I'm nearing the end of Outlander. I got distracted by other books. I agree with the bodice-ripping observations, not my thing so much. I'll read one more after this and then I think I'll be done with that series unless she really starts writing more concisely.

See you tonight:)

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh... I thought Outlander was awful. A friend who loves sci-fi and fantasy gave it to me, claiming that it wasn't really a romance novel. Yes, it was, and it wasn't a good one! Love the booties, BTW.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Chicago Jen said...

Yeah, part of me says "Okay, I'll buy that explanation" but then I was in Border's last night and asked about finding her books and sure enough they were housed in the "Romance" section. Also, one can decribe lust and severe desire between two people in euphmisms that don't involve "bruising her hips and thrusting until she felt her insides move". ROFLMAO I mean come on, we're talking hard core romance novel despite excellent research (which I will grant you). Don't get me wrong I, too, appreciate a well placed "love scene" but every 2 pages??! Must admit however that I am still reading....

9:16 AM  
Blogger kathy b said...

Oh Jen

The booties are so sweet. Thanks for bringing them to group and letting me pet the yarn. Ohhhhhh. They are wonderful.

4:59 PM  
Blogger knit_chick said...

Love the booties! Too cute!

I have all the Gabaldon books in the series except for the newest one. I started reading the first one and thought, "I need to get the rest!" It also kept my attention since my boyfriend & I have the same names as the main characters :D

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Mesothelioma Lawyer
Mesothelioma Lawyer Counter