Friday, February 10, 2006

Bad to Worse

After yesterday's horrible day I was really glad that today is Friday. Then the inevitable... this morning with the light snow I had an accident on the way to work. It was not a bad accident and I'm fine but consequently I'm an emotional wreck today.

I was at the Mobile station near my house (which I hate by the way because it's such a friggin' rip off) and when I was pulling out there was a car in front of me. We were sitting on a downward slope waiting for traffic to clear when I realized that I was sitting on a patch of ice and my car was sliding inexorably towards his silver Camry.

Thunk! Crunch!

I rear-ended him. He leapt out of his car and said "This is my brand new car!!" "I'm sorry. I'm on a patch of ice, there was nothing I could do." "Look at my bumper. That's going to have to be replaced." "Actually, it looks like just paint that we can rub out."

I went back to my car, Dear Knitters, and I didn't have anything with which to rub on his car except.... a beautiful swatch of Lilac colored Rowan Aran weight in a discontinued wool. I showed it too him and said "It's soft wool, I'm going to see what we can do." I started rubbing and all the streaks came off. Then he looked underneath the bumper and there is a little scratch /indentation thing that's smaller than a plain M&M and he said "See, that won't come out."

Now, Dear Friends, I have no idea where that little bump came from, it could have been me, it could have been something else, but in the grand scheme of hurt bumpers, it wasn't. He said he would be willing to negotiate if I didn't want to go through insurance. When I asked what that meant, he said "Well, the whole bumper will have to be replaced." If Dude lived in the city and had to park on the street that little thing underneath his bumper would be that least of his concerns. Nonetheless, I feel terrible. I cried almost the whole way to work. Talked to my Mom who, graciously, was only happy that I wasn't hurt.

Now for the "I'm so stupid, stupid, stupid... part." I gave him my name, phone and address along with my license plate number and I didn't get his. Do you remember how I said yesterday that it's easier to take pics of your knitting when you have the camera with your knitting? Yeah, I usually have my knitting in the car with me but today? Nooooo, I figured after yesterday that today would be hellish and so I left my knitting at home along with my CAMERA!!

Then I had to call and tell my hubzind. Boy, that was fun, too. Let me tell you.

I'm just sick thinking about the whole thing.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am just happy that you weren't hurt. Remember, you had an "accident" not "an on purpose".There is a big difference! It is a good idea to keep one of the cheapy disposable cameras in the car just for things like this. Get out your knitting this weekend and it wil be soothing therapy for you.

11:04 PM  
Blogger knit_chick said...

Like everyone else, I'm just glad you weren't hurt. I hope things have gotten better for you since.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

Hi Jen -
So sorry about the accident. I'm sure it was pretty frightening. Make sure you indulge in some knitting this weekend, that always makes things better:)

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guys are such IDIOTS when it comes to cars.

The important thing is that you are ok. A car can be replaced, YOU can't.

I am sorry you were having a couple of bad days.

Your clap looks BEAUTIFUL, BTW!

HUGS

10:43 AM  
Blogger Chicago Jen said...

[grin] Thanks everyone! I called the local police and they said that since I hadn't gotten his info, that there was nothing they could do. I also called my insurance agent and he said "don't worry, just wait until he calls. If there was no damage he may not call at all and if he does, we'll deal with it then." So, here's monday and no call. If he was so terribly worried, I imagine he would've taken his car to the shop on Saturday. Keeping my fingers crossed. I wonder if there's a statute of limitations on reporting a claim...

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Mesothelioma Lawyer
Mesothelioma Lawyer Counter