Friday, March 31, 2006

The House

HI!!! Sorry, yesterday was ridiculously busy, didn't get a chance to post.

Okay, The House! I loved it! It wasn't the perfect house but it was darn near close enough.

Day 1

DH came home at 6:20 and our appointment was at 6:30. We walked over (it only takes about 45 seconds) and the Realtor wasn't there. {insert panicked husband here}. I called the Realtor's office and got his cell phone. I left him a message and waited for a call back. Meanwhile, all the lights were on in the house but we couldn't see anyone. Realtor finally calls back and thinks that we're supposed to be seeing the place on Friday!! {cut to freaking out husband saying "Reschedule, reschedule." and wife giving him the abrupt "hold on" signal while she talks to confused Realtor on her cell standing on the sidewalk outside The House}.

Realtor says something about the email I sent him. "I never sent you an email". Because husband is so freaked, I'm doing my best to stay as calm as possible. Realtor agrees to call owners and ask if we can come in and see The House. "They're really flexible" he says.

Okay, so 30 seconds later, the front door opens and Realtor calls back and says "Go ahead on in, they're just finishing dinner but they're really nice and say it's fine to come in." We walk to front door and I am holding Husband's hand so he doesn't run away. (No idea why he's being such a spaz, we already own a town home for Heaven's Sake! It's not like this is his first home or I'm dragging him to the altar!)

The couple that lives there is an Indian couple and their two beautiful daughters have grown and moved away so they are down-sizing.

Inside Layout: enter into a mid-sized foyer with the formal living room to the left and a big ornate mirror in the alcove on the right. The Dining room is a shared space into the living room about 20 feet further forward on the left. (It's laid out much like every other home that is being built right now, which is good because that's the layout DH likes) Pass through an archway and into the kitchen on the left and the HUGE family room on the right. The colors are beautiful (not exactly what we would have chosen, but close enough that Husband, who doesn't visualize very well, can get the idea). 1/2 bath on the main floor. There is a stair to the second floor just before the entrance to the kitchen/ family room. The kitchen is plenty big with granite counter tops and an island in the middle. Brand new appliances which are staying with the house (awesome! a silent dishwasher!) The cabinets are not as tall as ours, but they're not painted either, which would have turned off DH. Cool.

There is a good sized office and a laundry room right on the main floor.

Next we headed down to the fully finished basement with two crawl spaces! The basement was very nice. They'd surrounded the support beams with beautiful wood columns that added to the atmosphere rather than detracted from the overall space. There is a Pool Table and a Wet Bar that stay with the property (this speaks to the wanna be party animal in DH-- he's always wanted a pool table).

Next, we proceed to the second floor. There is a loft space right off the stair which could actually be reasonably converted to another bedroom, but there are aleady 3 bedrooms on the second floor. There is a large bathroom with a double vanity that is shared by the 2 smaller bedrooms. The Master bedroom was plenty large and they had a huge screen TV which diminished the space to begin with. There were his and her's closets a double vanity, whilpool tub, separate toilet and shower room and a skylight.

Overall a lovely house. I want it.

Day Two
DH told me before we went over to see The House that he is "not ready" to buy a hosue right now. Huh? We've been looking at houses for nearly a year and half. What the heck does that mean??!!

So, I waited 24 hours and went home and had a very reasonable discussion with my Sweet Wonderful Husband trying to determine what the heck he was Not Ready about.

The long and short of it is that he is concerned about how much we need to do to sell our existing townhome. The answer is: we don't know yet. I convinced him to let me be the primary on this because he is so busy with work. I was VERY proud of myself. I did not get upset, yell, get emotional or play the tears card. I was very logical, calm and patient. Go me!!

After about a 30 minute conversation, DH said "I'd don't want you to get your hopes up about this house."

In my most, patient and calm voice I replied, "Dear, my hopes are already up. But I'm being realistic about this, too. If it was meant to be, then the house will still be there when we're ready for it. It's also possible that the chick that the Realtor told me was coming to see it on Friday could come in and buy it right out from under us. I know that this may not be the house we end up in, but I would be very upset if we missed it because we didn't even try. This is very important to me.

I also don't want to wait another 12 weeks for your schedule to calm down and start from ground zero only to find out that you have to get on a plane and fly to Tennessee or some other far away place for the next 6 months. Do you think you can let me at least start this process without too much discomfort?"

Big sigh; says he, "Okay, you can start figuring out what it would take to sell this place."

WOO HOO!!!!! So, this morning on the way to work, I called my girlfriend who's a Realtor and asked her what I needed to do. I'm going to start tonight! (Am I nuts or what?!)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it is meant to be, it will be yours. Plus, you never know if you don't try. The coupke who owns it met you and that is a plus too. I shall keep my fingers crossed!

Lynn

3:47 PM  
Blogger Chicago Jen said...

Thanks Lynn!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Alyssa said...

That's exciting - I hope it all works out. Have a great weekend!

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Mesothelioma Lawyer
Mesothelioma Lawyer Counter