Friday, September 23, 2005

Prayers for Rita victims

Alright friends,

My mom lives in Houston. She lives on the northwest side, but in Houston none the less. Yesterday, after much pressure from her daughter, she spent from 2:30 a.m. until 5:30-6:00 p.m. on the road and she only got 75 miles out of town. Calculating her mileage and her gas she decided that she didn't want to be alone with her puppies and out of gas on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere when the storm came through.

She made a calculated risk and turned her trusty car around on that little two lane highway and headed for home. She returned home in 50 minutes what had taken her nearly 16 hours to traverse earlier that day. Today she is boarding up her windows, wrapping up her glass and filling the bathtub with water for drinking should she need it. Then she's going another 30 miles northwest (if she can get there) to a friend's house who lives in a cinderblock apartment building to wait out the storm.

Please say a prayer for her.

jen

4 Comments:

Blogger Margaretx said...

It is really a very disturbing time. Half of me is somewhat hysterical at the thought of this enormous storm at my doorstep. Half of me is calm and focussed on putting whatever boards I have on my window wall and clearing out my fairly large garden and it's potential hazardous flying objects. (I have almost 1/4 acre and I'm a horticuluralist/gardener.)

The journey yesterday was a trip to a parallel world. I was in the car at 2:30am with "Thelma and Louise" and in stop and go traffic, bumper to bumper and I WASN'T on the highways. I was on the back roads and I couldn't get to Navasota which is about 75 miles from here. It was sort like being in a time warp or that science fiction TV show from the 60's....what was it's name???? Oh, I remember!! The Twilight Zone!

I was in fairly constant communication with said daughter and I just wasn't any further along the route. It was truly bizarre.

At this moment, the anticipated landfall is east of Houston by about two spitballs. I'm not expecting that to make any difference in the ferocity of the fallout from the storm. And actually, the dread and anxiety are the most difficult aspects of the waiting. I don't expect any disasterous events but the uncertainty is slightly overwhelming.

Unfortunately, the landfall spot is VERY important to birding. It's where the birds crashland when they arrive from S.Am. in the spring and where they take off from in the fall. It will be devastating to the avian community to lose those sites. The Audubon Society has enriched the area significantly to aid the birds and encourage nesting and it will be a great loss.

BTW, "Thelma and Lousie" are my two very small and adorable doggies. Phoebe is a mix of Am. Rat Terrier and toy poodle so she looks like a Chihauhau and Missy is a Papillon. Phoebe weighs about 9lbs and Missy 14lbs.

My friend in the cinderblock apartment building is a beading friend and beloved by Missy and Phoebe. I don't think I can stay in my house and experience the actuality of any damage because I'd want to immediately fix it and I probably should remain in hiding from the hurricane. I'd much rather come back to it as a faite accompli (is there an e on that, Jen?)

That's all for now from the land of the "Rita" and home of the not very brave!!!

deM

1:29 PM  
Blogger Margaretx said...

Well, as you all know by now, we dodged the bullet. I no damage of any kind and I have electricity, which is not true for much of Houston. Almost half of the city evacuated - 2.5 million people. Whew. Now they can't return for lack of groceries, workers and gas. This storm will have an enormous cost.

And I and my friends are safe and sound. Thank you for your prayers.

deM

11:35 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Hoping it wasnt' as bad as all that. I'm sorry you had such a worrisome week. Let us know if she is good.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Knit Chick said...

I hope your mom is safe and sound.

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Mesothelioma Lawyer
Mesothelioma Lawyer Counter